Thursday, January 19, 2012

Thrifty Thursday *Baby Food*

The only reason that I chose baby food is because my camera is charging and I can't post pictures of the cloth napkins that I grabbed for 99 cents.  I can't wait to show you what they look like and to show you what I am planning for them...  :)

 Anyway, back to the baby food.  This week I found butternut squash on sale for $1.00.  So I grabbed one.  I was a little worried I must admit because I have never really cooked butternut squash. 

Well I took it home killed it peeled it.  I did not know just how annoying peeling this would be.  So after peeling it and almost losing a finger, I diced it up into cubes and added cinnomon and a little sugar.  OK OK I know that you shouldn't give sugar to babies but if adding a pinch of sugar is my worst offense as a mom then I will take it.  :)

After everything is coated evenly I baked until it was tender.  It took about 45 minutes to an hour on 275 (I did not want to burn it).  Once it was cooked I blended with water until smooth.  After it cooled a bit I used a muffin tin to distribute evenly and froze.  Total it made about 9 jars of baby food.  9.  At the price of baby food I found that I saved about mmmmm.... 8 dollars.  NICE.  I need to start a "money I saved by making my own baby food" jar and save to buy me a nice pair of shoes.  YAY.


No comments:

Post a Comment